Let’s face it; these days, we’re not just trying to keep up with the Joneses. Instead, we want to BE the Joneses. In business, this concept is especially true! Maybe it’s a new product, a new service, or a new idea, but sometimes it’s an old product with a new focus and rebranded marketing. In any case, advertising is still crucial to getting the message across, and video advertising can catapult your brand message to the next level.
However, you still have to outmaneuver your competition to get to first place, and here are a few tricks to do just that.
- Research: In “Art of War,” Sun Tzu tells us that we will never be defeated if we know our enemy and ourselves. When you study your competition, find out their strengths and weaknesses. Watch their video ads, read their analytics, check their keywords for SEO and SEM, examine their sales funnel. In that knowledge, you can find their Achilles heel and create a video that beats your competitor in the first four seconds of your video ad.
- Budget: Just because you’re a small business, maximize your video ad placement budget by putting the video ads in a few different places; this gives the potential customers multiple ways to see them instead of only on just one platform.
Advertising is still crucial to getting the message across, and video advertising can catapult your brand message to the next level.
- Target: When you find out your competitor’s metrics and keywords, add them to your own. On Facebook, you can add their name and their product’s name as part of your keyword targeting strategy. Google and Twitter both allow for competitor targeting, including audiences and home pages. Include those keywords in your video ad so it’s addressing the audiences you want.
- Timing: Watch what your competitors’ video ads say. How quickly do they address the customer’s problem? How quickly do they solve the problem? By addressing the issue and solving it in the first 3-5 seconds, you prioritize the customer and show value for their time.
- Disrupt: You’ve created a video ad worthy of an Oscar; now it’s time to place it appropriately so everyone will see and want what you’re selling. First, put your video ad in the ad stream for your competitor’s videos. Those are the customers and clients you’re looking for–let them see your ad before your competitor has a chance even to say hi. Give your brand every opportunity to be seen by disrupting the status quo of ad placement.
Study your competition, find out their strengths and weaknesses. Watch their video ads, read their analytics, check their keywords for SEO and SEM, examine their sales funnel.
Video advertising is a great way to get your product, service, or brand message in front of receptive audiences. But, of course, your competition knows this too. Still, with intelligent research, budgeting, targeting, timing, and disruption, you can outsmart, outlast, and outperform your competitors in the first few seconds and simultaneously make a lasting impression.